Are you an amazing individual who loves creating exceptional culinary menus, thrives in providing a best-in-class team experience and loves cooking in a fast-paced, fun and rewarding environment? Come join our team as a CHEF, GLB Brewpub and be part of introducing Toronto to an all-new way of enjoying #FreshGLB in an exciting new location.
The ideal candidate will have vast experience in all culinary facets including menu development, mentoring teams and new restaurant opens and provides an exceptional experience through professionalism, ownership and initiative.
A fiercely independent owned and operated brewery, Great Lakes Brewery (GLB) celebrated 34 years in the craft beer business in 2021, making us one of the oldest independent craft breweries in Canada. We have been named the Best Brewery in Ontario multiple times (Golden Tap Awards) and were twice awarded the Canadian Brewery of the Year (Canadian Brewing Awards). In February 2021 the brewery announced plans to open a second location – the Great Lakes Brewpub.
Here at GLB we hold ourselves to the highest standards in both our passion for beer, customer service and quality of product.
We are looking for an experienced Chef to lead the new brewpub’s culinary direction with innovative and delicious menu items to compliment the always evolving beer offerings and evolving trends of the guests. The successful candidate has a passion for the culinary arts and a proven ability to lead and mentor a team of like-minded aspiring future culinary leaders.
The Chef is tasked with the culinary creation and successful execution of all aspects of the Brewpub culinary program. Key performance indicators include accurate tracking and management of all kitchen systems, controllable expenses, menu development and Back of House Team Members including training, retention and succession planning and above all, food quality and timing.
This position requires the Chef to be active in the kitchen during high volume meal periods as well, the Chef’s presence is required for special events and launches. Working collaboratively with ownership and the General Manager the Chef strives to consistently achieve a second-to-none culinary experience in the market segment.
Key Responsibilities & Back of House Operations:
- Executes and maintains high expectations for food quality
- Ensures the efficient operation of food production areas in the kitchen, constantly analyzing quality of food produced and prepared in accordance with Brewpub recipes.
- Maintain adequate inventory levels for daily and weekly production
- Maintains food costs to budget
- Train and develop team members to maximize performance & growth
- Work closely with the General Manager to execute a smoothly functioning Brewpub and strive to consistently optimize the guest experience
- Manages and identifies critical control points in all areas of product receiving, storage, preparation and service
- Oversee all BOH facilities and equipment management including preventative maintenance agreements
- Develop action plans to maintain controllable expenses & foster culinary sales
- Ensure brewpub BOH operating procedures are being followed in the kitchen.
- Effectively manages labour, staff levels to meet the needs of the business, schedules are written to reflect business trends.
- Inspect deliveries for product quality and accurate invoicing
- Oversee the preparation, presentation and is physically present during volume service periods
- Responsible for daily tracking, setup, temperature check tracking and closing checklists of the Food Line
- Be instrumental in organizing an efficient flow of production. Check all daily events, delegate and follow up
- Taste menu items on a daily basis to ensure quality and consistency
Educational & Experience:
- Red Seal certificate or equivalent considered an asset
- 5 years’ experience in a similar role & concept
- Passionate about customer service and the craft beer culture.
- Ability to work early mornings, days, late nights and alternating shifts.
- Menu development & costing
- Experience in new restaurant openings
- Vendor sourcing
- Experience with dough an asset
The GLB Brewpub will be coming to the East Bayfront neighbourhood here in Toronto, occupying units 5-8 at 11 Lower Jarvis Street (Lower Jarvis/Queen’s Quay) in the Daniels Waterfront ‘City of the Arts’ building. We’ll be joining other amazing businesses and schools like George Brown, OCAD University, The ReMix Project, Artscape, Universite de l’Ontario Francais, and more. Goal of Fall 2021 opening. GLB is located in South Etobicoke. Conveniently accessed via TTC from Royal York Station, or via the Gardiner Expressway by car. The Mimico GO Station is within a 10-minute walk from the brewery.
Why Should You Apply?
- Salaried position
- Award-winning brewery
- Ability to create a lasting legacy
- Bragging rights within the industry
- #FreshGLB beer
Please submit applications by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the job title in the subject line.
Great Lakes Brewery is an equal opportunity employer. Each job posting and candidate selection process that GLB undertakes will consider all qualified applicants for employment within the brewery without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or any other legally protected factors. GLB will work with qualified applicants on accessibility accommodations during all levels of our internal recruitment process. Please notify GLB of any accessibility requirements in an email and our team will work alongside you to ensure your needs are met.
Schedule: Full Time, Salary
Shift: Days, evenings, weekends, holidays
Length of Contract: Not Applicable (Regular Position)
Probation period: 3 months upon which a review will take place
Work Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posting Category: Great Lakes Brewpub
Please note – Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted by Great Lakes Brewery.