Are you an amazing individual who loves creating memorable experiences, building something from the ground up, thrives in providing a best-in-class team experience and loves both the craft beer and restaurant industry? Come join our team as a GENERAL MANAGER, GLB Brewpub and be part of introducing Toronto to an all-new way of enjoying #FreshGLB in an exciting new location.
The ideal General Manager will have vast experience in all facets of the hospitality industry, including menu development, mentoring teams and new restaurant opens, leadership and those who provide exceptional service through pride, ownership and initiative.
A fiercely independent owned and operated brewery, Great Lakes Brewery (GLB) celebrated 34 years in the craft beer business in 2021, making us one of the oldest independent craft breweries in Canada. We have been named the Best Brewery in Ontario multiple times (Golden Tap Awards) and were twice awarded the Canadian Brewery of the Year (Canadian Brewing Awards). The GLB Brewpub, the 2nd location for GLB, opened in May 2022.
Here at GLB we hold ourselves to the highest standards in both our passion for beer, customer service and quality of product.
The Brewpub General Manager is an integral contributor to the overall success of the entire Brewpub venue. The key role of the Brewpub General Manager is to direct, coordinate and plan the organization of all food and beverage while working alongside the Executive Chef to ensure consistency, budget control, quality of service and product. The Brewpub General Manager has a proven ability to lead a team with a passion for the guest experience and impart the brand vision into the values of his/ her team.
The Brewpub General Manager is tasked with the highest quality operation and ultimately responsible for managing the Front of House and Back of House Management Teams and overall daily restaurant operations. The pursuit and delivery of a consistently excellent guest experience, while effectively championing the company’s policies and procedures is the non-negotiable result.
Key Responsibilities & Operations:
- Implement smooth service practices throughout the entire operation of the restaurant while executing the company’s service philosophy and brand promise
- Manage staff, deliver daily briefings, provide real-time feedback, maintain a high level of employee morale
- Train and develop team members to maximize performance & growth
- Work closely with the Chef to execute a smoothly functioning Brewpub and strive to consistently optimize the guest experience
- Perform intermittent culinary and service quality checks with all guests
- Ability to conduct written and verbal performance reviews, perform HR functions effectively
- Advise guests on #FreshGLB beers and culinary menu recommendations
- Regularly conduct P&L reviews to analyze financial metrics
- Set budgets with Ownership and ensure budgets continually reviewed and achieved
- Proven leadership skills – daily motivator of team, and recognize excellence in others
- Ability to recruit, coach, develop, mentor and retain talent
- Support and maintain a clean and safe working environment
- 5 years’ experience in a similar role & concept (new store open)
- Passionate about customer service and the craft beer culture
- Ability to work early mornings, days, late nights and alternating shifts (days, evenings, weekends, holidays)
- Menu development, costing, inventory control
- Experience in new restaurant openings
- Proven ability and experience in implementing point of sale, inventory management systems, online scheduling and payroll functions
- Sound business acumen including ability to create profit and loss statements
- Exceptional time management and organizational skills
- Ability to train and delegate
- Post-secondary Degree/Diploma in Hospitality Management, Food and Beverage Management and/or equivalent an asset
The GLB Brewpub will be coming to the East Bayfront neighbourhood here in Toronto, occupying units 5-8 at 11 Lower Jarvis Street (Lower Jarvis/Queen’s Quay) in the Daniels Waterfront ‘City of the Arts’ building. We’ll be joining other amazing businesses and schools like George Brown, OCAD University, The ReMix Project, Artscape, Universite de l’Ontario Francais, and more. Goal of winter 2021 opening. GLB is located in South Etobicoke. Conveniently accessed via TTC from Royal York Station, or via the Gardiner Expressway by car. The Mimico GO Station is within a 10-minute walk from the brewery.
Why Should You Apply?
- Competitive pay – Salaried position
- Health spending account
- Competitive dining expense account
- Underground parking space
- Award-winning brewery
- Ability to create a lasting legacy
- #FreshGLB beer
Please submit applications by email to email@example.com. Please include the job title in the subject line.
Great Lakes Brewery is an equal opportunity employer. Each job posting and candidate selection process that GLB undertakes will consider all qualified applicants for employment within the brewery without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or any other legally protected factors. GLB will work with qualified applicants on accessibility accommodations during all levels of our internal recruitment process. Please notify GLB of any accessibility requirements in an email and our team will work alongside you to ensure your needs are met.
Schedule: Full Time, Salary
Shift: Days, evenings, weekends, holidays
Length of Contract: Not Applicable (Regular Position)
Probation period: 3 months upon which a review will take place
Work Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posting Category: Great Lakes Brewpub
Please note – Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted by Great Lakes Brewery.